Sunday, May 30, 2010

Youth Pioneer Trek

Shad & I were asked to be a Ma and Pa for our ward youth pioneer trek. Summary - It was one of the hardest things I've done in a very long time...but the most rewarding.



We told Shad it wasn't the wild wild west...but he didn't care.


This is the start of the trek. Our family (below) was so awesome!! They worked so hard and never complained. We couldn't have asked for better kids or a better experience.



Getting to our campsite for the night. We had such a great time learning about the pioneers were were walking for and also fun dancing to good old country and square dance music. Our family cart was "Be Thankful".



We ran in to many surprises the second day. This water was suppose to be to our knees.


This was suppose to be a dry river bed... the mud came over my knees at the deepest parts. The mud was so sticky it ripped your shoes right off your feet. I did this part barefoot.

Right before lunch (around 2 p.m.) we came around the bend and saw this lovely "hill". Our family is the one half way up the hill. I couldn't help push the cart because I could barely make it walking. When we got to the top Sister Green was playing "Come Come Ye Saints" on her violin. It was an awesome experience. For lunch we had to pick one child from our family to shoot the "turkey". They got three shots... if you hit a turkey you got a 6 huge turkey legs with your lunch... if you missed you only got PBJs and fruit. Kayden was nominated from our family and he got the turkey on the 1st shot!!! I was still so tired from climbing the hill that I forgot to take a picture of our food. It was like the huge turkey legs you can get a Disneyland...if that helps. :)


We are almost to Zion!

My girls!
Our cute family close to the end of the trek!

What a great experience... if you ever get asked to participate I would highly recommend it!!

XOXO Melanie

1 comment:

Katie McCaul said...

HOW FUN! I am so excited for Trek we go at the end of July...you look so cute. I remember it as a youth and loved it can't wait to go again:) Your experience looks fun and hot!!!