Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Shad's Scare!!!

It's my lunch break right now and I had to update everyone on what happened to Shad today at work....It started with a text message from Shad at 8:23 a.m. and it said "Got in a wreck. I'm fine but they have to take me to the hospital."...and I responded..."What!" ...you don't just send your wife a text message like that (for those of you who don't know Shad works for Metro in the old down town area and he is currently on an Enduro squad - rides an off-road motorcycle) so of course I am a little freaked out. Then he sends me this pic....

With the text saying "Don't I look cool!" (typical boy right)...so now I'm not sure if he is playing a joke on me or if I should really be freaked out. So he finally asks one of the EMTs if he could call me while he was still riding in the ambulance so I don't completely have a nervous breakdown...luckily they let him call me.

So the story goes like this...Shad was being dispatched to a call where a police officer had a guy at gun point that had just stabbed another person on a bus. The officer was by himself so Shad starting rolling code (with sirens and lights) to back up the officer that was by himself. Shad was riding down the street when a car came from his left side and he wasn't sure if the car would pull all the way over to the right (which is what you are suppose to do when a emergency vehicle is behind you) or if he would pull into the closest lane which would be the far left lane. Shad said he thought if he went to his left and the car stayed in that lane he would have to go into oncoming traffic (not very safe) or he could just stay in his lane on the right side, which is what he did. The car ended up coming into Shad's lane and then stopped right in front of him. Shad said he was probably going around 50 mph and started leaning to his right and he put on his breaks to try avoided the now parked car but he clipped it with his foot and the bike went right out from under him...which he proceeded to skid across the asphalt for about 130 feet. Because he was on a motorcycle and because of the speed he was traveling, they made him take a ride in the ambulance. They even strapped him down on the gurney (see pic above).

All in all he really is fine and he only got a little road rash on his leg, a slightly swollen ankle, and tore through his riding gloves (luckily he had those on). I am so very thankful that he is ok and that Heavenly Father was watching over him today...it definitely could have been a lot worse.

XOXO Melanie

8 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Oh my goodness that was a close call! I really dont like motorcycles. That was probably so scary for you! Glad every thing turned out ok!

Amanda said...

OMGosh! I was almost in tears! I hate the worry that we go through every time our husband go to work. I am so glad he is okay. He is being watched over. May we always be so lucky.

Chelsea Johnson said...

Yikes! That is so scary! I am totally opposed to motorcycles(because I work in an ER), but obviously if its your job its unavoidable! I have seen a lot of really bad accidents, so he is one lucky guy!

Gonzales Family said...

I am so glad that he is okay!!! now you can kill him for sending a text instead of calling first!!!

Katy said...

Scary! So glad he is okay.

Anonymous said...

I found you! Your hubby told me you had a blog. Thanks for the cake; it was yummy!!!!

Mary Jane said...

oh, Mel- I hope your honey recovers well- I am so happy that he is fine. We just love your cute little family and hope you know that we are thinking of you and will keep shad in our prayers- We just love you guys:)

Mary Jane & Bryan- Bryan thinks about the Vegas crew quite a bit- how is Isaac Peace doing?

Katie McCaul said...

Oh my! That would have freaked me out...luckily they let him call you. I am glad he is ok.