Monday, April 26, 2010

A Moment of Silence for Obi...


After much debate, we have decided that it would be better to find another home for our Bull Mastiff - Obi. He has been with us since he was 8 weeks old and we got him just after we moved to Vegas. He became a playmate for our first dog Bo and they got along so well. He is now 4 years old and weighs over 120 pounds.
He has a very different personality than most dogs - he is scared of children. He is such a good dog with Shad & I and is so fun and playful...but when Ky gets within two feet of him he gets scared and runs away. He is very playful, but because of his size and strength does not understand he can do some serious damage when he bites.
Shad's parents drove him to Utah today and they'll meet up with Shad's Uncle next week. He lives in Montana, which of course is a very different climate than he is accustomed to. I hope he will have a great home up there with lots of room to play. It is a very sad day in the Rollo household, but it is not worth the risk of him getting too scared and/or cornered that he bites one of our children.


We love you Obi... I can't believe how much we already miss you!


XOXO Melanie

7 comments:

Warner said...

ohh... sad!! we felt the same way when we gave up our puppies! we loved them so much and had them for so long but it was no longer a great situation for them and us... they got NO attention with our two girls here now. i still miss them but we don't regret getting rid of them at all. hopefully you'll feel better about it soon :)

Life's a Rodeo said...

Oh my heck!!! If you think I just cried when I read this go with the feeling! I don't know how you could be so strong, that would be so hard for me. I will miss Obi so much.

Brooke said...

Aw, Obi will love Montana! It is amazing how much kids change things when it comes to dogs. That has always been my measuring stick for Roxy, if she were to ever show any aggression toward Ryan she would be gone in a heartbeat. Hopefully you will get updates on how the "little" guy is doing! :)

Gonzales Family said...

It is hard to feel like you just gave away a member of the family! I think it is better to be safe then sorry in that kind of situation! xoxo Lindz

Sarah said...

Sorry for your "lose"! I'm sure he'll love it in Montana. :) And now you have an excuse to sing Wont You Meet Me in Montana, whenever it comes up. That's what I do anyway...

{ Tye's } said...

We gave Jonsee and Kage away when I got pregnant and that was so sad. we still miss them so much, but it is much more calm without them. Pet's are our family and you feel like you abandoned them when you give them up! I know!!! It's so hard!!! It gets better :)

Kenzie said...

Mel! When I read this I was so shocked! I am so sad too. I loved him and he will be missed but I think you're doing the right thing for him and your kids. He will have so much fun running around in Montana. He will be just fine I know it. And as for you guys,time will make it better. Love ya!